Thursday, March 19, 2009

Who's in your network?

Ahh, the little things.

Those people that remember you had a doctor's appointment today and call to see how it went. Your grandma, who even though she has 7 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren, still remembers to send a card to your son (with a check for all those Bakugan balls he loves) on his birthday. The friends who know that you love books and loan you ones they think you will like. The person that always buys you the perfect present (my birthday is 5-11 if you're one of these people).

I'm terrible at these things. And I'm trying to improve.

But what I rely on (to a fault) is my network.

I'm bad at birthdays and anniversaries and wonderful gifts. My husband, my sister, and my mother are experts at this.

I'm not great at networking. I have several amazing friends who I count on for introductions.

My writing isn't funny. My brother in law's is hilarious.

But I can give you a great view of the big picture. Figure out a way to whip up your dinner fast. I can write you a resume or marketing piece that will kill. I help people do these things all the time. And they help me with the things I can't do.

Do you know your strengths? Your weaknesses? Take inventory.

Start strengthening your strengths. Maybe more importantly, start surrounding yourself with people who can fill in your weaknesses, and whose weaknesses are your strengths.

Maybe you'll get peanut butter in their chocolate.

No comments: