Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Change your point of view

Last week, at a networking function, I met Petersen Thomas. He's an artist (how cool is that?).

After I told him I was a writer, he shared a problem with me.

"Galleries are always asking for written descriptions of my work," he said.

I didn't really see the problem with that.

"If I could write words about it, I wouldn't have to paint it."

Ahh. To get people to come look at his artwork (which takes the place of many, many words), he needs to describe it in a compelling way with words. Kind of ironic, really.

So what does he do? He writes from a different perspective. Actually, his dog's. And it works.

Maybe the next time you're looking for new ideas, you should pause - and think of the problem from a different perspective. It doesn't matter whose. A fresh set of eyes is all you need.

No comments: