Friday, July 31, 2009

Three reasons I love this recession

Don't get me wrong. For me, and so many others I know, 2009 has been a train wreck. There's nothing I'd like better than to have that Haitian from Heroes come and make me forget all about the last seven months. But it's here and it's real, so I figured I might as well find some reasons to be happy. Here are three:

1. I've had more time.

  • More time to work on my novel, something I've dreamed of finishing for the last eight years. I'm already half way through my first manuscript.
  • More time to get out and network. I've met so many new people this year. People who have helped me when I had questions, and people I've been able to assist. And, most importantly, people who are tons of fun to be around.
  • More time to do things with my kids. This year, I've gone to every school party, assembly, and special event my kids have had. We've visited the zoo and zoombezi bay. We've read more books, watched more movies, and created more art.
2. I've strengthened my personal relationships.
There's nothing like hard times to tell you who your real friends are. The ones who listen to your worries, offer advice, and pick you up when you're down. I can't say I'm overly fond of needing so much support, but my friends and family have given it freely and in spades. I've always felt fortunate, but it never hurts to be reminded how loved you are.

3. I've found peace in living more simply.
Cutting back our expenses was hard at first, but now I find I honestly don't miss any of that extra stuff. My near daily trip to the Starbucks drive through has been replaced with a peaceful mug of coffee at home. Netflix took the place of cable for a $70 monthly savings. I never realized how much of my life I've been wasting flipping through channels and watching commercials, but no more. Our family trip out to eat has become a special event, now that we only do it once a week.

When things turn around, I don't think I'll go back to the way things were.

What reasons can you find to love this recession?

3 comments:

Baskets by Bonnie said...

Great observations! Nice that you found the silver lining to the Recession Cloud. I also am finding that living simply is much more enjoyable. Like a flash-back to kinder, gentler times!

Baskets by Bonnie said...

I also find that consumers are trying to support Small Businesses now more than ever. Shoppers not only realize they will get better service, they know their purchase is appreciated.

As a Small Business owner, I love this!

Cabin 19 Supply Company said...

Would have to agree with Bonnie on all aspects. My brick & mortar is doing well thanks to loyal customers AND new customers supporting the "local gal" and it is so appreciated! People are compassionate and more aware of the benefits of supporting the businesses in their community.

Lisa