Saturday, July 25, 2009

Keep trying

Last Saturday, my husband and I took our children to Slate Run Historical Farm. A great outing, even if you don't have kids. It's a working farm, still doing things the way they did back in the 1800s.

In the yard of the farm house, they've got a bunch of old time games. One of them was stilts, which we all attempted.

Now, to say that I am not athletically inclined is an understatement. Watch the video below to see what I'm talking about.

Take note of how I make stilts look like an impossible feat, and my husband Dan makes it look as easy as walking.



Do you ever feel like this in your job? Like you try and fail over and over, and then someone comes along and does it with no effort at all?

When that happens, often we just want to give up. I know, because I've been there. But I'd advise you to do one of two things instead:

1. Keep trying and have faith you'll get it eventually. Don't worry about the other guy. There's likely room for more than one person in your market with that skill.
2. Figure out a way to work together with the other person and leverage their skills. Maybe you're good at something they've been trying.

What did I do in the stilt situation? I kept trying. And by the end of our time at Slate Run, I was walking on those stilts confidently enough to challenge Dan to a stilt race. Of course, he still beat me pretty badly, but I guess there's room for two stilt walkers at Slate Run.

1 comment:

Andy and Jenni said...

You need a "Like this" button. I would click it :)