Friday, April 10, 2009

Customer service saves the day

I had an amazing customer service experience a week or two ago.

I was trying to get something done on one of my websites that's hosted at GoDaddy.com. I couldn't figure it out, and I was getting frustrated. I wanted to make the most of the time I had, but couldn't get anything else done until I completed that task. I decided to call them.

They didn't have a 1-800 number, which made me angry because now I was going to have to waste cell phone minutes calling long distance. When I called, there was a 7 minute hold time.

Totally livid now, I hung up the phone and entered an online help request.

Of course, because I revert to the maturity level of an immature 8 year old when angry, I went on Twitter and complained really loud about GoDaddy.

Within 10 minutes, Alon from GoDaddy did 3 things:
1. He tried to call me to help, but the number that was in my record was outdated.
2. He sent me a message on Twitter, in an attempt to get a new number. (Rant over, I had already closed Twitter out and didn't get the message)
3. He sent me an e-mail with easy to follow instructions so I could complete my task.

Wow.

Not only did I feel a little sheepish (ok a lot), but now I had to tell everyone about how great GoDaddy's service had been. And I did.

What will you do to make people tell stories about your company's service?

No comments: