Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Coupla Jerks: genesis of a crazy idea, part I

Well, along with a hilarious nameless collaborator, I've launched Coupla Jerks.

Coupla Jerks is offensive training materials for freelance writers. In other words, training brought to you by a couple of jerks.

What in the world? Offensive training material? Isn't that a little... too different?

This is the reaction I've been getting from many. Since this blog is all about getting more ideas, I want to share with you how I got this one.

About 6 months ago, I started to notice two recurring themes (although at first, not at the same time):

1. People I knew were asking me about new web tools.

Colleagues wondered how they could use LinkedIn more effectively. Friends were asking what this Twitter thing was all about. My mom wanted to set up a FaceBook profile.

As I looked for resources to send people to, I found that there weren't a lot of resources for targeted audiences besides people looking for a job. In other words, a lot of advice existed for the unemployed to use new web tools, but for freelancers like me? Almost nothing.

2. Most training materials are boring


So much of the training material that exists is just plain lame. Even the well written stuff can be a little dry. While I can race through a good novel in a few hours, it can take me days and days to force myself to finish a business book.

I wondered why more written material didn't entertain as it taught. I thought of the book Blue Ocean Strategy, which teaches that you can create a new market by combining two things that haven't co-existed before. Maybe by combining training material with somewhat offensive comedy I could create something new and different.

Over the course of creating Coupla Jerks, I've gone through every phase of my Building Ideas Structure. In the next few posts, I'll walk you through how I did it and how the structure applies. Kind of a learning by doing example. I hope it inspires you to get an idea and follow it through to execution.

Maybe Coupla Jerks is a far fetched idea that will never take off. But then again, 25 years ago, who ever thought people would be paying $100 to go to the circus (Cirque Du Soleil anyone?)

No comments: