Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The idea of customer service

One secret of people who get a lot of ideas is that they can take an idea that someone else has and apply it to their own situation in unexpected ways. Here's a great example:

Everyone knows that great customer service makes a difference. But have you ever thought about how an author can use customer service to sell more of his books? Neither had I, until last night.

Seth Godin is the author of many books on marketing (including the aforementioned Meatball Sundae). He is also the owner of Squidoo.com, and the most popular marketing blogger on the internet. Clearly, the man is busy. So when I wrote him an e-mail last night to tell him how many great ideas I got from his book and ask a question, I thought I might get an answer sometime next week.

He replied ONE HOUR LATER! And I'm pretty sure it was really him. Not only did he thank me for my compliment, but also took time to answer my question. He even got my name right. I can't imagine how many e-mails he must receive, but I'm sure mine was just one of many.

Seth understands the value of good service. Because now, even though I was considering reading his other books anyway, I most definitely will. And I'll share this story of remarkable service with anyone who will listen.

So the question is - are you thinking of how your service can be better than it is now, in unexpected ways?

No comments: