Friday, July 18, 2008

More Customer Service Ideas

If you can't tell, I'm pretty enamored with excellence in customer service. And with Starbucks. Time after time, they exceed my expectations on service (and my expectations are pretty high). Needless to say, I visit Starbucks quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's just my Starbucks (yes, I go there often enough to consider it "mine"), but they are always ultra friendly. The one time they messed up my order, not only did they fix it right away, but they gave me a coupon for a free drink on my next visit. I didn't even ask for it!

When something goes wrong, it's such a great opportunity to exceed customer expectations. And by giving me a free coupon instead of just giving me that drink free, they increase the chances that I'll come back.

Yesterday, I noticed that they had a sign up advertising their new smoothies. As I was waiting at the window for my drink, I asked how the new smoothies were. Not only did she tell me all about them enthusiastically, but she handed me a coupon for a free one. Again, almost guaranteeing a return trip from me. And they didn't even need to do that, since they know me well enough to know I'll be back!

Of course I went and cashed in my free smoothie coupon this morning. When I handed the lady my coupon, she actually seemed excited.

"Oh! You have one of these!" "Look!" she said to the other staff members. And they all cheered. I have no idea why it was so wonderful that I was getting something free from them, but it made me feel great. Like I was really doing them a favor getting a free smoothie.

How can you take every mistake and turn it into an opportunity to generate customer loyalty?

What if you got excited every time a customer redeemed a coupon?

Oh, and the smoothie? Delicious. I'm sure I'll be back next week for another.

1 comment:

Andy and Jenni said...

Is "your" Starbucks the one on Fifth? I heard it's closing. Our household is fairly bummed about that news...

I'd like to give Crown Jeep some ideas for meeting/exceeding customer expectations. Awhile back they serviced the Jeep, and the next day on the way to work I was forced to pull over on 270 cause something was flapping on the bottom... I had to have the Jeep towed to Crown, where they realized they had not reattached everything securely. So, I was late to work, paid for towing, paid for the service the day before that they clearly didn't comeplete accurately, and they didn't offer a thing. I don't heart Crown the way I did when we initially bought the Jeep.
I do heart your blog though.